You can upload many different types of files into Google Drive. From there, you can open the file in Google Docs or Google Sheets, where you can make edits, invite others to edit, and share the file online.
How do I convert a file to a Google document, spreadsheet, or presentation?
- Upload the file to Google Drive and right-click it.
- Click Open with... and choose Docs, Sheets, or Slides (the relevant app will be listed based on the file type).
What kinds of files can be converted?
Files with the following extensions can be converted to Google Docs format:
- Documents: .doc, .docx, .html, plain text (.txt), .rtf
- Spreadsheets: .xls, .xlsx, .ods, .csv, .tsv, .txt, .tab
- Presentations: .ppt, .pps, .pptx
- Drawings: .wmf
Are there size limitations?
Google Drive has space for gigabytes worth of files, but there are restrictions on the size of the files being converted. The size limits are:
- Documents: 2 MB
- Spreadsheets : 20 MB
- Presentations: 50 MB
- Drawings: no restriction