IT Freedom's Virtual Private Network (VPN) service allows you to securely connect to your office network from nearly any remote broadband Internet connection, such as your home network, to access files, printers and other shared network resources as well as your office computer. We use the open-source product OpenVPN as our standard VPN server solution.
This article covers:
- How to set up your VPN connection
- How to connect to your VPN
- How to resolve issues when connecting to your VPN
- Download the free OpenVPN Connect client app for Android smartphones and tablets through Google Play. Either search for "OpenVPN Connect" or click here.
- Obtain a copy of your VPN configuration file by contacting the Helpdesk.
- Email the configuration file to yourself as an attachment, and then save that attachment on your Android device.
- Open the OpenVPN Connect client on your device. Open the menu and select Import, then Import Profile from SD card.
- Navigate to the location of the configuration file on your device (if you emailed it to yourself it is probably in Download), select the file and press Select.
- If everything went well you'll be taken to a screen with a notification stating Profile Imported. If you don't like the name or would like to create a shortcut for this particular connection on your home screen, press and hold the profile name and select the appropriate option.
- Open the OpenVPN Connect app on your device and, if you have multiple VPNs configured, make sure the appropriate VPN profile is indicated under OpenVPN Profile.
- Enter your username and password in the appropriate fields and press Connect.
- If this is your first time using this connection, an Attention dialog box will open. Press the checkbox next to I trust this application and then press OK.
- At this point OpenVPN Connect will attempt to connect to your VPN. If all goes well, the progress bar will change from yellow to green and you'll see a green circle and the text OpenVPN: Connected. At this point you are on the VPN and can access office resources on your Android device.
Incorrect Username or Password
If you enter an incorrect username and/or password when prompted by OpenVPN Connect, the app will indicate OpenVPN Authentication failed and display the username and password screen. If that happens, re-enter your username and password, press Connect and the connection process will begin again. If you're still not able to connect, please contact the Helpdesk.
Firewall Settings on Your Internet Connection
OpenVPN data travels through the Internet on an assigned channel (known as a port). On rare occasions we'll encounter a network that will not permit traffic on the OpenVPN port to reach client computers. If you suspect this might be happening to you please contact the Helpdesk.