IT Freedom's Virtual Private Network (VPN) service allows you to securely connect to your office network from nearly any remote broadband Internet connection, such as your home network, to access files, printers and other shared network resources as well as your office computer. We use the open-source product OpenVPN as our standard VPN server solution.
This article covers:
- How to set up your VPN connection
- How to connect to your VPN
- How to resolve issues when connecting to your VPN
- Download the official OpenVPN Connect client for iOS devices. Download this free app through the iTunes App Store by searching for "OpenVPN Connect" or by clicking here.
- Obtain a copy of your VPN configuration file by contacting the Helpdesk.
- Email the file to yourself as an attachment.
- On your device, open the email with the attachment. Press the file's icon and select Open in OpenVPN.
- OpenVPN Connect will automatically open. When it does, press the green + button to add your VPN connection.
- Enter your username and password in the appropriate boxes.
To connect to your VPN:
- Open the OpenVPN Connect app on your device and, if you have multiple VPNs configured, select the appropriate VPN profile.
- If you haven't opted to save your VPN credentials, enter your username and password in the appropriate fields.
- Press the Connection slider. At this point OpenVPN Connect will attempt to connect to your VPN.
- The Status will change from Disconnected to Connected. At this point you are on the VPN and can access office resources from other apps on your iOS device.
Incorrect Username or Password
If you enter an incorrect username and/or password, OpenVPN Connect will indicate Authentication failed. If that happens, re-enter your username and password, press the Connection slider and the connection process will begin again. If you're still not able to connect, please contact the Helpdesk.
Firewall Settings on Your Internet Connection
OpenVPN data travels through the Internet on an assigned channel (known as a port). On rare occasions we'll encounter a network that will not permit traffic on the OpenVPN port to reach client computers. If you suspect this might be happening to you please contact the Helpdesk.